Today was another scorcher of a day, and right now it looks like a big storm is brewing. A few weeks back, we'd found out that we are required to switch over to FIOS, so the guy came today to install it. As seems typical, he arrived around 12:30pm even though the window (which they called, emailed and texted me about several times) was from 8:00am to noon. Anyway, I took the opportunity as a day to stay in (out of the incredible heat!) and do some experimenting in the kitchen.
I started the morning by making T's lunch which included bell pepper sticks. He is still making a good effort to eat healthfully, so I have been trying to come up with new and delicious healthful recipes! I like to have something to dip pepper sticks into, and T is never one to turn down a sauce, so I concocted a sesame-peanut sauce for him. We'll find out when he gets home if he liked it or not. I liked it so much that I decided to make another batch of it for Sneetch and me to enjoy as a snack throughout the day.
Sneetch and Mom stopped at Safeway on their way here to pick up some more summer squashes for me. Sneetch and I made the yummy summer veggie stir fry again and topped it with a little of the delicious sesame-peanut sauce. Fantastic combo for a super healthful and delicious summer lunch!
Finally, Mom had some bananas that needed to be made into banana bread, so Sneetch and I mixed up a batter using apple sauce and honey instead of oil/butter and sugar. We also used whole wheat flour and gluten free flour instead of all purpose. We got three silicone trays worth of mini muffins out of our batter. I added swirl chocolate chips and oatmeal (and a little extra apple sauce) to the last batch which are by far my favourite!
1T peanut butter (I used creamy, but I suppose crunchy might be good too!)
2T sesame oil
1/2t agave syrup
1t cayenne pepper powder
1t soy sauce
- Mix together everything except the water and cayenne.
- Add in the water and mix well, then taste.
- Add in the cayenne a little at a time to get it up to the heat level you like.
based on this recipe, but this is what I did:
1/3c unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup honey
1t vanilla extract
4 mashed bananas
1c whole wheat flour
3/4c gluten free all purpose flour
1t baking soda
1/4c hot water
1/2c chopped filberts
And for the third batch with chocolate swirl chips:
1/4c chocolate swirl chips
1/4c unsweetened applesauce
- In your stand mixer, mix the eggs, honey, applesauce, bananas and vanilla.
- Mix in both flours and the salt.
- In a separate little cup, dissolve the baking soda in the hot water, then add it to the batter.
- Add in the chopped filberts.
- Bake the first batch and while the second batch is in the oven, and 1/3 of the batter remains, add in the last 3 ingredients (1/4c chocolate swirl chips, 1/4c unsweetened applesauce, and 1/4c oats). Mix it up thoroughly.
- I found that filling the muffin cups to the top made a nice little muffin top that didn't overflow too much on the sides.